Monday, December 29, 2008

WALL-E

The hype: It's on a LOT of Top 10 lists, so curiosity got the best of Her Indoors.

The caveat: I don't hate animated movies per se, but I can't think of one off the top of my head where I just had to see it twice. I also don't have kids, so I don't have that "kids love it" sensibility when watching animated movies.



Marc Horton Plot Synopsis: Humans and/or large corporations and/or rampant consumerism have killed Earth. There's a robot that eats piles of garbage and shits it back out in cubes that can be used as, I dunno, building blocks. A space shuttle comes and drops off a more advanced robot. They get friendly. They end up back on the Mother Ship, which is a bunch of fat humans floating around in space thousands of years after abandoning Earth.

When the space humans attempt to return to Earth, the ship's auto-pilot, like HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey, tries to over-ride the mission. The cute robots and the fat humans co-operate, prevail over "HAL" and return to Earth.

Politically Incorrect Movie Review: To paraphrase Cartman on South Park: I don't hate robots, I fuckin' hate hippies.

3 comments:

Bill Needle said...

I don't want to see it, because I'll probably end up agreeing with Cartman, a character who inhabits a cartoon that repulses me almost all the time.
But Wall-E sounds as high-minded as this recent robot clunker. That means I'm not interested.

Art Vandelay said...

I can spot the problem. Oliver Platt's in Bicentennial Man.

Bill Needle said...

I thought the problem was Robin Williams.